Friday, September 26, 2008

So is this freelance or are you going for KCRA?

Neither.

Sam and I are traveling to Sierra Leone as a combo vacation/mission trip… but the journalist in me knows there are important stories to tell there (that wouldn’t be otherwise told). So, I convinced my news director to air those stories upon our return.

Considering the economy, local stations just can’t afford to cover stuff like this any more... especially in an election year when domestic news is more relevant. In-depth stories on things of international importance are more likely to air on PBS or National Geographic… to a limited audience.

The nature of local news can often be summed up in one sentence… “If it’s not relevant to me, I don’t care. “ But I believe that if we present international stories in creative ways, we can make them relevant to local viewers … and reach a wider audience in the process.

So, I figured if I found some local angles and funded the project myself, (Huge thanks to my amazing husband who agreed to let me do this!) I might be able to get these socially significant stories aired on mainstream media. Needless to say I was relieved when my news director agreed to give me a camera and air the stories I come back with. (Big thanks to Anzio too!)

As I mentioned, the initial plan is to put together a 5-part series for KCRA (outlined in previous blogs)… and a 30-minute piece for the KCRA show, Common Ground. And yes, I am shooting/editing the piece… and will have the amazing Mike Caroll (KCRA Photog/Editor) clean it up when I get back.

No comments: